• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Central Kansas

luray jail

Luray Jail

The Luray jail cell was manufactured by E.T. Barnum Iron Works a reputable jail company in the frontier days. It is a single cell made of strap iron with two pull-down beds. The cell while unsure...

bunker hill jail

Bunker Hill Jail

This jail, one of the best-preserved in the state, dates back to 1871. Allegedly this building was the Russell County Jail from 1871-1876. One of the most well-designed jails of its time, it is a...

Minneapolis Jail

Minneapolis Jail

The cage cell that sits next to the Delphos Museum in Delphos Kansas is actually not from Delphos but the nearby town of Minneapolis. While Delphos used to have its own small jail that was abandoned...

Wilsey Jail

Wilsey Jail

The Wilsey Jail is located within the city park and built by the Pauly Jail Building Company. It was installed in February of 1914, The Wilsey Warbler reporting; “The room in which the cell is...

Zenda Jail

Zenda Jail

The Zenda Jail is a small one-cell concrete jail with two windows on each side. While the exact date of its construction is unknown, it did show up in newspapers as early as 1915. The Zenda Citizen...

Whitewater Jail

Whitewater Jail

The original Whitewater jail was built on the lot where the former Swiss Church building current rests at Oak and Topeka Street. It is said that its construction was a result of an ordinance and was...

Cunningham Jail

Cunningham Jail

The Cunningham Jail was built in 1909 and displays a classic construction of a calaboose. With one cell, one bed, made of concrete and a barrel roof. On May 10, 1909 the City Council met and...

County Line School

County Line School

On the backroads of Ottawa County lies a tiny red brick, vernacular, one-room schoolhouse. The County Line School gets its name from its location, right on the Ottawa and Lincoln County line. Built...

Cedar Point School

Cedar Point Consolidated School

In 1918 a devasting fire completely destroyed the Cedar Point School, quickly classes were moved to Principal Mrs. Ada Lake’s home. Miss Myrtle Self and Miss Henry Young held their classes in...

Colyer School

Colyer School

Colyer School District No. 42 was constructed in 1897 at the cost of $1000. This expenditure was exceeded by one hundred dollars due to the addition of a bell and tower. This additional $100 expense...

Bushong School

Bushong Rural High School

The journey to erect the Bushong School didn’t come swiftly in fact the exact opposite. A dispute over the legality of the Bushong Rural High School which for a few years had housed students in...

Council Grove Jail

Council Grove Jail

Constructed in 1870 the Council Grove jail was originally bigger than this, two stories in fact. Located in the all behind Strieby Blacksmith Shop was the original wooden structure with a gabled roof...

Cottonwood Falls Jail

Cottonwood Falls Jail

The small Cottonwood Falls or Chase County Jail was constructed in 1870, one of the earliest calabooses I’ve encountered. It was Chase County’s first jail, which made it a little bit...

Dubuque Church

Immanuel Lutheran Church of Dubuque

The Immanuel Lutheran Church located in the derelict town of Dubuque, Kansas wasn’t always in the shape it’s in now. The history of the church goes back to the “pioneer days”...

Sacred Heart Church

Sacred Heart Church – Emmeram

Twenty-five members attending St. Fidelis Church nearby petitioned for another church to be constructed just north of Victoria, Kansas in a town called Norddorf. Norddorf was a very small community...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer