• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Eastern Kansas

Pleasant Valley School

Pleasant Valley School

Pleasant Valley School is a native sandstone one-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1881 just on the outskirts of Yates Center. There is two different colored sandstones giving evidence of an...

Allen County Jail

Allen County Jail

Through the 1860s, Allen County struggled over their lack of a jail, proclaiming criminals looked at the Allen County judicial system as a laughing stock and encouraged them to commit crimes...

Lehigh Portland Cement Plant

Lehigh Portland Cement Plant

Iola Portland Cement Plant Construction on what would become Iola Portland Cement Plant started in 1899 on 600 acres of land just south of town. Being one of a handful of popup cement plants in the...

Lebo City Jail

Lebo City Jail

Native sandstone is a common material used in buildings throughout the midwest, especially in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This jail was built of the popular material in 1890 and was 10 ft by 10...

Reading Jail

Reading Jail

The Reading original jail looks like something straight out of a wild west movie. Originally built in 1870 the jail includes two cells with a wood stove inside for the winter months. Outside of the...

Neosho Falls School

Neosho Falls School

Neosho Falls was a boomtown like any other, oil was struck, the population surged and then the money ran out and people left. But unlike most other boomtowns Neosho Falls experienced a second surge...

Iola Hospital

St. John’s Hospital – Iola

St. John’s Iola Hospital 1906-1952 The idea for the hospital came from a meeting of the Allen County Medical Society on April 25, 1904. Doctor John S. Sutcliffe moved to Iola to become the...

Vernon School

Rural High School Vernon Kansas

Before the current Rural Vernon School, there was just Vernon High School, presumably built in the mid-1910s. School lunches at the school cost around 2 1/2 cents which would run you about 44 cents...

Kalida Kastle

Kalida Kastle

Kalida was once the location of the county seat of Woodson County, now all that is left is a more than century-old farm featuring a castle. James Davidson had built his farmstead in the mid-1800s, it...

Simons Church

St Simon’s Episcopal Church

Sunday School of St. Simon’s James H. Guy was the first African American to practice law under the Ohio Supreme Court when he was admitted in 1882. Coming to Topeka in the mid-1800s James...

Sumner Elementary School

Sumner Elementary School

To Read More And See More Pictures Click Here to Order ‘Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World’ 1880-1935 Sumner Schools History The first Sumner school was built around 1875 as a one...

McKinley Elementary School

McKinley Elementary School

To Read More And See More Pictures Click Here to Order ‘Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World’ Lane School The history of the McKinley school and property dates back to 1879, before it...

Wheatley Provident Hospital

Wheatley Provident Hospital

Perry Sanitarium and Nurse Training Association Dr. John Edward Perry moved to Kansas City in 1903, upon arrival there were only sixteen beds available at the city hospital for minority patients...

Sauer Castle

Sauer Castle

Anton Philip Sauer immigrated to Kansas City from New York in 1868. Originally from Hessen Germany, the wealthy entrepreneur spent his younger days traveling all over South America and other...

Neosho Falls Jail

Neosho Falls Jail

The Neosho Falls Jail single cell was not always by its lonesome before it was located in the Neosho Falls City Hall. The cell was built in 1923 and is made of iron, painted white. When the City Hall...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer