• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - 1970's Abandoned

Iola Hospital

St. John’s Hospital – Iola

St. John’s Iola Hospital 1906-1952 The idea for the hospital came from a meeting of the Allen County Medical Society on April 25, 1904. Doctor John S. Sutcliffe moved to Iola to become the...

Bushong School

Bushong Rural High School

The journey to erect the Bushong School didn’t come swiftly in fact the exact opposite. A dispute over the legality of the Bushong Rural High School which for a few years had housed students in...

Council Grove Jail

Council Grove Jail

Constructed in 1870 the Council Grove jail was originally bigger than this, two stories in fact. Located in the all behind Strieby Blacksmith Shop was the original wooden structure with a gabled roof...

Cottonwood Falls Jail

Cottonwood Falls Jail

The small Cottonwood Falls or Chase County Jail was constructed in 1870, one of the earliest calabooses I’ve encountered. It was Chase County’s first jail, which made it a little bit...

Dubuque Church

Immanuel Lutheran Church of Dubuque

The Immanuel Lutheran Church located in the derelict town of Dubuque, Kansas wasn’t always in the shape it’s in now. The history of the church goes back to the “pioneer days”...

Vernon School

Rural High School Vernon Kansas

Before the current Rural Vernon School, there was just Vernon High School, presumably built in the mid-1910s. School lunches at the school cost around 2 1/2 cents which would run you about 44 cents...

McKinley Elementary School

McKinley Elementary School

To Read More And See More Pictures Click Here to Order ‘Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World’ Lane School The history of the McKinley school and property dates back to 1879, before it...

Wheatley Provident Hospital

Wheatley Provident Hospital

Perry Sanitarium and Nurse Training Association Dr. John Edward Perry moved to Kansas City in 1903, upon arrival there were only sixteen beds available at the city hospital for minority patients...

Neosho Falls Jail

Neosho Falls Jail

The Neosho Falls Jail single cell was not always by its lonesome before it was located in the Neosho Falls City Hall. The cell was built in 1923 and is made of iron, painted white. When the City Hall...

Haddam Jail

Haddam Jail

The Haddam Jail dates back to the summer of 1901 when the first meeting to discuss the jail happened. On May 6, 1901 a committee was appointed to brainstorm about building a new jail, if they needed...

Havana School

Havana School

In early March of 1915, the Havana School Board started campaigning for bids on a new school. Around $9,000 would need to be raised to construct the brick and stone school, L.F. Carson was hired as...

Sacred Heart Church

Sacred Heart Church – Emmeram

Twenty-five members attending St. Fidelis Church nearby petitioned for another church to be constructed just north of Victoria, Kansas in a town called Norddorf. Norddorf was a very small community...

Concreto Cement Plant

United Kansas Portland Cement Plant (Concreto)

United Kansas Portland Cement Plant (Concreto) In 1903 ground was broken on another cement plant in Allen County in the new town of Concreto. The name Concreto Cement Plant was very fitting for the...

Cherryvale Jail

Cherryvale Jail

The Cherryvale jail or what is known as a calaboose was built sometime between 1890 and 1900. The first reports of the calaboose in newspapers were in 1900. The calaboose was presumeable abandoned in...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer