• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Abandoned

Arlington School

Arlington School

During the school election of April 1911, a new school building was discussed and decided this is a need that needed to be addressed soon. The nearby towns of Sylvia, Turon and Pretty Prairie had all...

sabetha jail

Sabetha Jail

The jail that now sits at the Albany Historical Society site is that of the old Sabetha Jail. Saved from being lost forever it now sits on a complex of other saved historic buildings for the public...

utica jail

Utica Jail

Built around 1912 the first time Utica Jail shows up in newspapers was December 28, 1912 in the Ness County Newspaper with the following: Frank McKinney of Gove County who broke out of the Utica jail...

Hackberry Township Hall

Hackberry Township Hall

Hackberry Township Hall History In 1938 citizens of Bartlett and the Hackberry Township voted to allow $10,000 in bonds to be issued for the construction of a township hall. The Hackberry Township...

Howard National Bank

Howard National Bank

Kansas State Historical Society In April of 1877, the Elk County “State” Bank was organized with George W. McKey as President. Just a few short years later the bank was converted to the...

fairview jail

Fairview Jail

In 1917, Fairview had a new city jail. This came as a surprise to some residents being as the town was usually pretty quiet and somber when it came to criminal activity. A single cell cage was built...

edgerton jail

Edgerton Jail

The Edgerton Jail was purchased from the Pauly Jail Building Co in June 1902 for a total of $92.15. Not much else is known about the cell other than this was not its original location, it was moved...

Lower Snokomo School Dist No. 32

Lower Snokomo School Dist No. 32

The Lower Snokomo Distr. No 32 school is one of the few remaining one-room schoolhouses left in rural Kansas. Referred to as both Lower Snokomo and Haubold School the building was constructed in 1890...

Wichita Greyhound Park

Wichita Greyhound Park

Wichita Greyhound Park opened on September 7th, 1989 as a 72-acre, $18 million luxurious dog racing facility. Greyhound Park allowed for Kansas’ first pari-mutuel betting in greyhound racing...

muscotah jail

Muscotah Jail

The Muscotah City Jail cell is one of the best-preserved cells I have seen regardless of it sitting in the elements for many years. The cell was designed and manufactured by E.T. Barnum, a popular...

sylvia jail

Sylvia Jail

The Sylvia jail cell is a classic single cell with two bunks designed and manufactured by E.T. Barnum. The cell still sits under an awning to try and shield it from the elements. It is similar to...

St. Johns Hospital - Salina

St. Johns Hospital – Salina

The idea for the St. Johns Salina Hospital was pitched by Rev. Father Maher of the Sisters of St. Joseph who then brought the idea to other non-Catholic citizens of Salina who agreed there was a need...

humboldt jail

Humboldt Jail

The Humboldt jail cell located at the Humboldt Historical Society is a white single cell. This represents many other jails in Kansas such as the cells still existing in Muscotah, Sylvia and Goff...

white city jail

White City Jail

In 1907 the first instance of White City’s needs for a jail was published, and again in a 1909 paper. It seemed White City was almost desperate for a lockup to hold those that stepped out of...

goff jail

Goff Jail

The Goff jail is unusual in its construction and doesn’t look like most other cage cells documented. It is meant to hold one person and was housed in the old City Hall building of Goff. At some...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer