• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Central Kansas

Sylvia Jail

The Sylvia jail cell is a classic single cell with two bunks designed and manufactured by E.T. Barnum. The cell still sits under an awning to try and shield it from the elements. Some stories...

St. Johns Hospital – Salina

The idea for the St. Johns Hospital was pitched by Rev. Father Maher of the Sisters of St. Joseph who then brought the idea to other non-Catholic citizens of Salina who agreed there was a need and...

White City Jail

In 1907 the first instance of White City’s needs for a jail was published, and again in a 1909 paper. It seemed White City was almost desperate for a lockup to hold those that stepped out of...

Belpre Jail

The Belpre Jail cell sits alone at City Park, a remembrance of our history and how the times of incarceration have changed. It is a single cell made by E.T. Barnum, a popular jail cell manufacturer...

Bushong State Bank

Bushong State Bank holds the same construction of many other banks built across the midwest during 1905-1906. Despite other readily available sources stating that the Bushong State Bank was organized...

Claflin Jail

Not much is known about the “bear cage” jail cell located at the Barton County Museum. It is alleged that this jail cell once belonged to the City of Claflin and was provided by the Army...

Lucas Jail

The start of the Lucas City Jail came in October 1901 when J.F. Mansfield began circulating a petition for Lucas to build a jail. And by February of next year, the city jail of Lucas was finished and...

Hudson Jail

The Hudson City Jail was built in 1908 and is a square concrete building fit with a cage inside made of thin iron. One story I found regarding the jail was in the Stafford County Republican July 17...

Bison Jail

In April of 1913, the City of Bison came to the decision that the erection of a jail for the growing city was in order. John Butler was the lucky man to receive the contract for building the jail. By...

Wilson Jail

On May 10th, 1907 a contract was let between the owners of the nearby Powers and Tobias Building, W.B. Power and Joseph F. Tobias and the City of Wilson. The contract outlined the construction of a...

Tescott Jail

The Tescott Jail was made in 1914 by the popular jail company E.T. Barnum. It is a single steel cell with one pull-down bed. The city of Tescott listed in its end-of-year disbursements $132.13 for...

Buhler Jail

On November 27, 1913, The Buhler Herald reported that at a city council meeting on November 21st a decision had been made to start work on a city jail for Buhler. The jail that was then completed in...

Luray Jail

The Luray jail cell was manufactured by E.T. Barnum Iron Works a reputable jail company in the frontier days. It is a single cell made of strap iron with two pull-down beds. The cell while unsure...

Bunker Hill Jail

This jail, one of the best-preserved in the state, dates back to 1871. Allegedly this building was the Russell County Jail from 1871-1876. One of the most well-designed jails of its time, it is a...

Minneapolis Jail

The cage cell that sits next to the Delphos Museum in Delphos Kansas is actually not from Delphos but the nearby town of Minneapolis. While Delphos used to have its own small jail that was abandoned...

Wilsey Jail

The Wilsey Jail is located within the city park and built by the Pauly Jail Building Company. It was installed in February of 1914, The Wilsey Warbler reporting; “The room in which the cell is...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer