|City/Town: • Yates Center|
|Location Class: • Residential|
|Year Built: • 1893 | Year Abandoned: • N/A|
|Status: • Abandoned • Private Property|
|Photojournalist: • Trevor Hoag|
Kalida was once the location of the county seat of Woodson County, now all that is left is a more than century-old farm featuring a castle. James Davidson had built his farmstead in the mid-1800s, it was when he visited the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893 that he envisioned something new for his property. Influenced by the beautiful stonework that he saw on his trip he contacted Henry Ashley, one of the finest stonemasons in the area. Henry Ashley envisioned stone gateways to the Kalida town-site as well as a castle on his own farm. Its main purpose was to store milk, fruits, and vegetables, a utility cave for the farm. The exterior top of the castle is covered in grass and weeds making it look like it is being swallowed by the earth. It is constructed of native sandstone and features two towers on the sides of the entrance.