|City/Town: • Liberty|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1929 | Abandoned: • N/A|
|Status: • Endangered|
|Photojournalist: • Emily Cowan|
Libert School was constructed in 1929 as a one-story brick school that was rather long including the gymnasium inside. The school still has the old wooden merry-go-round, monkey bars and swings out front. The cornerstone reads:
Minnie Heckman – Director
J.R. Goddard – Clerk
Fred Hodges – Treasurer
S.S. Voict – Architect
L.B. Pipes – Contractor
Liberty School was the third school of the Unified School District 445 to be closed in the year 1982. The closure came after parents of Liberty students voted to close the school due to attendance being low, the worry that their children weren’t getting a good enough education, and the struggle to get into secondary schools. All twenty-five of the students were consolidated into nearby Dearing School.
Like many other small rural schools, after they consolidated with other districts the buildings were often used by the community. The Prairie Schooner 4-H Club often held its monthly meetings at the historic site throughout the fifties and sixties. It has since been converted into the town community center but having looked in the window the gymnasium seems to be in rough shape and is endangered.
Gallery Below of Liberty School
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!