|City/Town: • Marion|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1879 | Abandoned: • 1962|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Raymond L. Stone|
Colyer School District No. 42 was constructed in 1897 at the cost of $1000. This expenditure was exceeded by one hundred dollars due to the addition of a bell and tower. This additional $100 expense created quite a stir in the community. Some felt it should be paid for by the three school board members. To settle the disagreement, Frank Lutz one of the board members, removed the bell and tower and repaired the roof. The original bell remains on the property of the school and owner Phil Metsker. The schoolyard included a well dug in the early 1900’s and two hitching posts on the southeast corner. Originally the building only had one door, in the front of the building. It was discovered by the health department that the plans for a fire escape were not acceptable. Those plans were that the older students would open a window, where the teacher would place a wooden bench/stool. A second door at the southwest corner of the building was then added, as an emergency escape route.
Sonora Metsker taught the 1898-99 term, with C. M. Laptad teaching the 1899-00 term. The first decade of the new century had the following teachers: Luella Barton, Artis Metsker, Sonora Metsker, Grace Creel, Pearl Metsker, Lola Flory, T. E. Vincent, and D. L. Burton. Members of the Board were: A. E. Metsker, A. G. Shaw, and D. L. Burton.The next ten years were taught by: Lanora Preston, Laura watts, Ethel Kindred, and C. Fay Gorbutt, Board Members were: D. L. Burton, A. E. Metsker and B. H. Powell. Teaching the 1920’s were: Elizabeth Sturdy, Mildred Longanecker, Telitha Newton, Bessie Brown, and Mary Allen teaching 14 students for the session ending in 1930. Members of the Board were Frank Lutz, Otto Hack and Frank Scott. The decade of the 1930’s were taught by; Dorothy Cummings, Inez Herlan, Bessie Surles, Beatrice Clark, Dorothy Nuffer, Marzella Dwyer and Irene Rusking. Board members were Floyd Heffner, Olin Heffner and Otto Hack. The 1940’s were taught by: Goldie Carpenter and Arlene Flory. The school was then closed for five years with student being sent to nearby Lone Star (due to small enrollment). With an enrollment of 9 students, the school was re-opened in the autumn of 1949, with Nancy Wilcox teaching. The Board Members were John Metsker, Frank Lutz and Orlyn Vaughn. Teachers for the 1950’s were: Betha Gibler, Estella Tiejens and Betty Hoover. Lloyd Hoffman, Frank Lutz, Hugh Boyce and Orlyn Vaughn were the Board members.
Gallery Below of Colyer School
“17 Jan 1923, Page 6 – Lawrence Daily Journal-World at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/59484823/?terms=colyer%2Bschool%2Bmarion.
“20 Aug 1902, Page 3 – Lawrence Daily World at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/60041042/?terms=colyer%2Bschool.
“4 Apr 1901, Page 3 – The Jeffersonian Gazette at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/67615530/?terms=colyer%2Bschool.
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!