|City/Town: • Haddam|
|Location Class: • Jail|
|Built: • 1901 | Abandoned: • 1950s|
|Status: • Abandoned|
The Haddam Jail dates back to the summer of 1901 when the first meeting to discuss the jail happened. On May 6, 1901 a committee was appointed to brainstorm about building a new jail, if they needed to build it, how they would, and where they would. A little more than a month later advertisements circled through the town for bids to build the jail and plans were drawn up. On June 17, 1901 the contract was awarded to Mr. Sherm Peabody’s bid of $325.
The jail opened on October 7th of that year, the rock for the jail itself was locally quarried by Fritz Zenger and Andy Rosendran. Sherm Peabody, a blacksmith, did the ironwork for the cells inside. It came fully furnished with a $3.00 stove/chimney, $3.50 handcuffs, and $2.98 blankets. The last prisoners resided in the small calaboose in the early 1950s.
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!