• Menu
  • Menu

Havana School

Location Class:
Built: 1915 | Abandoned: 1974
Status: AbandonedPrivate Property
Photojournalist: Michael SchwarzEmily Cowan

In early March of 1915, the Havana School Board started campaigning for bids on a new school. Around $9,000 would need to be raised to construct the brick and stone school, L.F. Carson was hired as the general contractor of the project. Amongst the others awarded the opportunity to be apart of the construction included, Kansas Cut Stone Co., Stroop Bros, Havana Lumber Co., Missouri Valley Furniture Co., Mehl Bros, and Sell-Orr Heating Co. Officials were elected for the school, George P. Dalbey as director, Miss Shukers as principal, E.W. Worthem as a clerk, and M.E. Kelso as the treasurer. By October of that year, the building was complete, a thing of beauty admired by the small community. Six rooms with a basement and an up-to-date heating plant and water system as well as a brand new Chase piano, $100 library were added. They implemented a two-year high school program within the new building

Havana School closed in October 1918 due to a widespread pandemic taking the town by storm. Initially, sixty cases of Spanish Influenza were reported in the small town causing the school to close and the teachers to return home until it reopened. The sixty cases dwindled to just three confirmed cases proving much more manageable and the school was soon reopened.

Due to the declining population of the already small town, between funds and enrollment, it was unfeasible to keep the school open. It was decided that students would consolidate with Caney Public Schools officially closing the Havana School at the end of the 1974 term. Shortly after it was bought and used by the Mantooth family, passed between brothers, the property is still owned by B. Mantooth. For a while he used the building to raise game birds but the business became too expensive to keep up with. It now sits deteriorating housing his farm equipment and falling in on itself.

Gallery Below


“1 May 1915, 1 – The Construction News at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/517906252/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

“11 Oct 1918, Page 1 – The Coffeyville Daily Journal at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/59555913/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

“18 May 1974, 4 – The Parsons Sun at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/609994950/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

“22 Oct 1915, 1 – The Caney Chronicle at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/427012964/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

“25 Aug 1915, 3 – South Kansas Tribune at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/381471566/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

“3 Nov 1915, Page 3 – The Evening Star at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/92143422/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

“8 Mar 1916, 10 – South Kansas Tribune at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/381429218/?terms=havana%2Bschool.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Emily Cowan
Notify of
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Becky Randall
Becky Randall
9 months ago

Sad. Looks like nothing but the gym is left. My grandma was the baking cook. Grade school remained in Havan after the highschool consolidated with Wayside. Then Wayside consolidated with Caney

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer

Have history here? Would love hear your stories or your thoughts.x