|City/Town: • Oketo|
|Location Class: • Jail|
|Built: • 1890 | Abandoned: • N/A|
|Status: • Restored 1974|
|Photojournalist: • Donna Alwin|
The lot on which the Oketo jail sits, off Monroe Street, was purchased by local businessmen chipping in money together in August of 1890. By September work had commenced on the stone calaboose that would be one of the best in the area. In November the jail was accepted and went into use for Oketo, it was built of native stone larger than most tiny jails.
After its abandonment, it was allowed to fall into a state of neglect and the grass around it became very overgrown. In 1974, the Oketo Historical Museum helped restore this piece of history back to its original state and it has stayed in remarkably good looks since then.
Gallery Below of Oketo Jail
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!