|City/Town: • Summerfield
|Location Class: • Jail
|Built: • 1903 | Abandoned: • N/A
|Status: • Abandoned
|Photojournalist: • Christopher Singleton
The Summerfield Jail was built in 1903 and constructed of lovely native stone making the walls thick and “indestructible”. It was dedicated on September 3, 1903 with the imprisonment of a man named Johnson who “lit the town and proceeded to get hilarious when his actions were brought to a sudden close by confinement in the city bastile.” The jail then became known as the ‘Jo[h]nson House’, the man was released in the morning after sobering up.
The Summerfield Sun reported on November 6, 1913 the following:
The most comical “stunt” pulled off Halloween night was when some of the boys caught Ed Wescott and Bart Clark and put them into the city jail. They first captured Ed and shut him up, then someone called Bart from the restaurant and after a useless struggle, he also was put in the jail. Bart did not know anyone else being in there and when Ed began to scratch the walls and growl Bart began to yell for help as he thought a dog had been thrown in the cell and was about to attack him. He tried to find a lump of coal and was just about to knock the “stuffin” out of the supposed dog when Ed spoke thereby saving himself from being injured.
Gallery Below of Summerfield Jail
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!