|City/Town: • Wilsey|
|Location Class: • Jail|
|Built: • 1914 | Abandoned: • 1930s|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Elvie Aikens|
The Wilsey Jail is located within the city park and built by the Pauly Jail Building Company. It was installed in February of 1914, The Wilsey Warbler reporting; “The room in which the cell is located is finished and also the cell set up and is all finished but putting in the concrete floor, the material being on hand to do the work and then who will be the first one? As we sit at our desk we have a full view of the entire building and door and can therefor be sure to get all the jail news. The jail has not been christened yet but will be named after the first occupant- so be careful.”
That December during the cold of winter W.D. Southern was paid $2.50 for two quilts to make the city jail a bit more comfortable for those staying in it. Crime wasn’t prevalent in Wilsey though, by the 1930s there was really no need for a jail in town. So Wilsey officers started sending their criminals to Council Grove, one of those prisoners being Glen Berry in 1933. Glen was charged with wreckless driving and due to serve out a $15 fine.
Gallery Below of Wilsey Jail
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!