|City/Town: • Dubuque|
|Location Class: • Church|
|Year Built: • 1886 | Year Abandoned: • 1966|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Quincy Vagell|
The Immanuel Lutheran Church located in the derelict town of Dubuque, Kansas wasn’t always in the shape it’s in now. The history of the church goes back to the “pioneer days” of Kansas when in 1879 the Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded by seven charter members in the home of Herman Gerhardt Luerman. Services would continue here until 1886 when the prayers and growing need for a place of worship were finally answered. The building consists of sandstone and wood, a steeple was present above the door back in its heyday but is gone now. It opened for schooling and for worship shortly after and by 1900 they had a frame parsonage on the plot of land east of the Lutheran Cemetery to house the pastors. It stands no more.
Sometime in the 1950s, the Fairmont School school was moved onto the property just behind the church. It was used as a place for the children to go to Sunday School and for local community gatherings. The population in the area continuously faded over the years, in 1964 the congregation was just fifty persons. The once-grand Immanuel Lutheran Church of Dubuque was no longer needed and on February 13, 1966, the members of the congregation made the tough decision to close the building down. Members transferred to other nearby churches and a public auction was held to sell the buildings.
Article by AKS Photojournalist Emily Cowan.