|City/Town: • Cedar Point|
|Location Class: • School|
|Year Built: • 1918 1937 | Year Abandoned: • ~2015|
|Status: • Abandoned • Endangered|
|Photojournalist: • Emily Cowan|
In 1918 a devasting fire completely destroyed the Cedar Point School, quickly classes were moved to Principal Mrs. Ada Lake’s home. Miss Myrtle Self and Miss Henry Young held their classes in the presbyterian church. Within a few months, a new school was underway, the contract was awarded to J. L. Zollars to excavate the grounds. Others involved in the construction were Missouri Valley Furniture Co. for the milling, Patent Vulcanite Roofing Co, Southwestern Electric Co., Cement Stone & Supply Co. of Wichita, and the Lumberman’s Supply Co. S.S. Voigt of Wichita was the architect and made a wonderful brick school for the small town.
In 1937 a magnificent gymnasium was added onto the building with a state of the art basketball court for the Cedar Point Bronchos. Which in 1955 became the Broncos instead. Throughout the decades Cedar Point excelled most in basketball, holding tournaments for Chase County in their own gym. Oftentimes they competed against Matfield Green, Strong City, Clements and Elmdale.
Enrollment typically never reached over 150, which was eventually what led to the downfall of Cedar Point Consolidated School. Cedar Point High School classes were consolidated in the early 1960s leaving it a gradeschool serving K-8th grade up until that consolidated as well in the late 1970s when enrollment fell below fifty. After its abandonedment as a school locals continued using the gymnasium as a community building for reunions weddings, funerals, get togethers, up until the mid 2010s. Then the building fell abandoned again, locals Sonda Bruce and Dr. James Fisher put together a proposal with approximately twenty-five different uses for the building to benefit the community. It seemed that there was some annomosity with the town board over their lack of action to do anything. The school grounds were then sold at an auction to a local farmer. The former school portion of the building has almost entirely collapsed on itself while the gymnasium is almost in perfect condition.
Article by AKS Photojournalist Emily Cowan.