|City/Town: • Eureka|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1891 | Abandoned: • 1957|
|Status: • Abandoned • Endangered|
|Photojournalist: • Trevor Hoag|
The Loy School was birthed when a local farmer by the name of Robert Loy donated a parcel of his farmland on October 17, 1891 for the purpose of building a school. The limestone schoolhouse was named District No. 49, created by one man’s generosity and love of education. It has two entrances as opposed to one, boys would enter on one side and girls the other. It was used as a one-room schoolhouse for rural area kids and just like many other country one-room schoolhouses, it hosted many community events. Pie socials, elections, town meetings, and box suppers were of a regular occurrence.
In the 50s the United States underwent a movement to consolidate, fewer districts, fewer buildings, more students. This resulted in the closing of most if not all rural one-room schoolhouses that didn’t have many students. Those students consolidated with nearby bigger districts. Leaving many, like the Loy School, to become abandoned and forgotten about.
Gallery Below of Loy School
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!